When comparing the body shapes of a spoon with a pear, you can see that they have a lot in common, but they are not the same. Much like a pear body shape, round body types feature wider hips, narrower shoulders, and a small bust, with legs that match the hips. The main difference between the two is that round body types start to curve towards the hips closer to the waist, while pear shapes curve around the hips.
selecting the bestwoman's clothesfor your body shape can give you confidence in your daily life. if ourbody shape testSaid you have a spoon body type, check out this guide to help you shop for great clothes for your wardrobe.
Explore the characteristics of a spoon's body shape, along with tips on how to dress to feel your best and suggestions on what to wear, including styles for tops, jeans, pants, dresses and more.
Spoon body shape features
Key features of the bucket body shape include:
- You have narrow shoulders and a small bust.
- The lower half of your body starts its curves around the waist.
- Your legs and calves are well formed.
Like all figures, there are small and large spoon body shapes and everything in between.
Celebrities with spoon body types include dancer Cheryl Burke and triple threat Beyonce. Get some fashion tips and ideas by looking at what they wear on the runway, on screen or in everyday life.
3 styling tips for the spoon body
When finding clothes for someone with a round body type, the main goal is to balance the upper and lower parts of your figure by adding volume to your upper half. While some women with this type choose to wear padded bras, it can be difficult to find the right fit and shape for this to work; finding complete sets might be the way to go.
To choose looks with a round body shape, opt for tops that emphasize the shoulders and bust. Here are three tips to help you get started.
1. Emphasize your shoulders and arms
Wear tops that are cut to fit your upper body to emphasize your shoulders and arms. A good fit and interesting details in these areas can help create this balance, drawing the eye upward.
2. Highlight your cleavage
Drawing the eye also means emphasizing the neckline. Cuts that draw attention to the neck and collarbone area, especially with plunging necklines, can give the illusion of broader shoulders.
3. Know how and where to use color
Choose dark or neutral colored bottoms and bright and bold colors or patterns for your tops. Again, this draws attention.
Dress the Spoon Body Shape: What to Wear
Now that you've understood the characteristics of the spoon's body shape and have a general idea of what it favors, it's time to put all of this into practice. Here are some tips and tricks you can use the next time you go shopping.
Spoon tops should focus on the neckline to draw attention to the shoulders, arms and torso. Some excellent tapas options andto moneyinclude:
- Strapless: A strapless top looks fantastic as it draws attention to your upper body.
- boat neck: Highlight your collarbone with a flared, scoop-neck, scoop-neck top.
- off the shoulder: Off-the-shoulder tops draw attention to the shoulders, collarbone and neckline.
- empire waist: To balance your shape and create volume, consider an empire waist or a peplum top.
- high throat: Known as turtlenecks, blouses with a loose neckline look great on the shoulders.
- camped sleeves: puff sleeves are fitted at the shoulders and flared at the elbow to enhance the bust.
- T-shirt round neck: Round necklines are wide and rounded, drawing attention to the collarbone region.
when choosingwomen's jeans, the best round body shape jeans will enhance your figure and create a balance with other body parts. Choose jeans without too much decoration. Some great options for this include:
- alta: High-waisted jeans elongate the legs and even out the look of the hips and upper body.
- Boyfriend: Fun baggy jeans are a huge trend and look great on your body type.
- tummy control: Tummy control jeans provide an opportunity to further define your waistline to help you emphasize your upper half.
- straight leg: Choose a pair of straight-leg jeans to create an even line across your body.
- boot cut: Bootcut jeans have a slight flare on the calf, which can enhance your shapely legs.
- long leg: A pair of wide-leg jeans works well with the form-fitting tops that flatter round body types.
Jeans are not ideal for all occasions, so having a few pairs oftrouserswhat suits you is essential. From casual to professional, here are some ideas:
- Simple details:Too many details, like pleats or buttons at the hips, shift the focus from the top to the hips and can throw off that balance. Try to keep things simple on the front of your pants.
- Measure:Tailored pants usually fall somewhere between slim-fit and straight-leg styles and look professional. They usually sit higher on the waist and can create a straighter line between the top and bottom.
- straight leg:As with denim, a straight leg without too much detail keeps the bottom half neutral.
- fluent:You can also wear flowy pants, like palazzo pants, with a simple top to create a great casual look.
dresses and jumpsuits
Everyone loves a fabulous dress. Choosing the Perfect Spoon Body Shapewearcan let you feel safe in the city or at an event. Use these same guidelines when shopping for overalls, overalls, and jumpsuits!
- line up: A-line dresses are form-fitting in the upper half and flare out just enough at the hips to accentuate your figure.
- princess cut: This does not refer to the Cinderella ball gown, but this dress has seams on both sides of the bust to draw attention to the upper body.
- empire waist: An empire waist dress fits over the shoulders and bust with a waistband just below the bust to emphasize a narrower upper body and balance the hips and legs.
- Picardias: Babydoll dresses are shorter, allowing you to highlight your legs, and typically hug your upper half while flared out as they descend. It's like they were made specifically for spoon body shapes!
- Average-thigh length: Choose a dress that falls between mid-thigh and knees. It shows off your great legs.
- Strapless: You can dazzle at a formal event wearing a strapless dress that highlights your collarbones, shoulders and arms.
You are lucky when it comes to choosingskirtsfor your spoon body type. You can rock any type of skirt, especially in a simple, solid color like:
- mini miss:Highlight your shapely legs with a short skirt.
- high waist:High-waisted skirts can help create balance.
- line up: An A-line skirt is a simple, classic option that gives just the right volume at the hips.
- Fire:This 1950s-style skirt starts at the waist and has a tapered hem, letting you show off your curvy hips while emphasizing your top.
Coats are an essential part of your wardrobe when it's cold out. Its spoon shape looks great on a variety of cooking styles.jackets and coats, included:
- princesa: Princess coats are the A-line dress of coats, reflecting your natural body shape in an exceptionally elegant way.
- shoulder details: When choosing a jacket, such as denim or leather, opt for something with details on the shoulders.
- waist that defines: Choose a jacket with a marked waist with or without a tie or belt.
- Ditch: A classic coat always looks good when the weather turns colder.
- long cardigan: if you need a lighter jacket, choose a long cardigan to create a line along the top and bottom half.
For a big day at the beach or pool, choose the most flatteringswimwearfor bucket body type. At the pool or at the beach, these looks are great:
- printed ruffle top: Turn heads by choosing a bikini top with bold prints and ruffle details.
- Strapless:To show off your shoulders and arms, you can wear a strapless one-piece or a bandeau top.
- High-waisted dark pants:Let your fabulous top be the star by choosing a dark colored high waisted bikini bottom.
- Retro pin-up style:Her round body looks stunning in retro pin-up swimwear in fun color combinations.
- Empire waist tankini:Choose an empire waist tankini that flares out over the stomach.
shoes and accessories
the shoes andaccessoriesyou choose are the finishing touches to any outfit. Here are some ideas to consider when you're finalizing your purchases.
- Pointe shoe: A classic pointe shoe in a neutral color will enhance the shape of your legs.
- portions: Since you have amazing legs, show them off with wedge sandals or pumps.
- thick earrings: Draw attention to your shoulders and face by completing your outfit with a striking pair of earrings.
- ribbons: Shapewear is never a requirement, but if you want to create a smoother transition between top and bottom or even out the two halves, you can opt to wear a little under your new favorite look.
3 easy outfit ideas for a spoon-shaped body
Let's see how these ideas look as complete sets. Here are some ideas for your spoon body type:
for each day
For an everyday look that works when you're running errands or enjoying a casual Friday at work, you can choose an empire waist blouse with lace ruffles in a bright color like red. Add wide leg jeans and a pair of espadrilles to complete the look. Keep the accessories simple with your casual look.
to go out at night
When you need to feel like the glam queen that you are, pick a flashy dress that will get everyone at the party talking. You can opt for a strapless black dress with a hem that falls between mid-thigh and the knees. Add a pair of black pointy shoes and finish the look with sparkling earrings in a bold color.
to the office
At work, show them how powerful you are. Black tailored straight leg pants can be paired with a brightly colored turtleneck top. Throw on a long cardigan in a coordinating color if it's chilly at the office, or add pizzazz to your outfit. Wear simple black heels to complete the look.
What should you not wear with a spoon shaped body? ›
Stay away from loose tops. Avoid having heavy embroidery or large prints on the bottom of the tops, as they will put all focus on your hips, making your figure seem unbalanced. Baggy jeans or flared pants are no-no. Similarly, too many pockets near waistline or on hips will look bad when dressing a spoon body type.How should I dress according to my spoon body shape? ›
Straight-legged pants work best for a spoon-shaped body. Wider waistlines also help hide tummy bulges and deemphasize the width of your hips. Straight or pencil-cut skirts look best on you, especially with less-fitted tops that flow over the midsection.What is a spoon shaped body? ›
Like a pear body shape, spoon body types include wider hips, narrower shoulders, and a small bust, with legs to match the hips. The primary difference between the two is that spoon body types start to curve out toward the hips closer to the waist, while pear shapes curve out right around the hips.How can a spoon shaped body lose weight? ›
According to experts, the best diet plan for a spoon body shape to follow is one with reduced saturated fats. “Eliminate saturated fats from your diet and other stuff that goes straight to the tummy. “Instead, opt for natural sources of fat like dairy, dry fruits, and baked snacks instead of fried ones.Where do spoon body types gain weight? ›
Some women think that because their bottom half of their body is somewhat larger than their upper body that they are Spoons. They're actually bottom-heavy Hourglasses, meaning that they bulk both on top and below, but bulk faster and more down below.What is the easiest body shape to dress? ›
The Rectangle shape is characterized by shoulders and bust that are equal to the hips and a waist that is not well defined. In my experience, the Rectangle shape is the easiest to dress, and the hardest to give advice to. This shape is easy to dress because most clothing today is designed with this shape in mind.How do I change my spoon shape to an hourglass? ›
- Spoons should go easy on the weights, as these tend to add girth to the lower body.
- Instead, go for whole body exercises like skipping and brisk walking.
- To build muscle on your upper body, try the bench press or push-ups.
- Leg lifts are a good idea to tone your legs—one leg and side leg lifts both.
Rectangle Body Type
This body type is the most common and is typically considered the healthiest. Rectangle-shaped people are less likely to develop obesity, heart disease, or diabetes. A rectangle body shape is typically thin and has a proportional waist, hips, and shoulders.
Top hourglass body shape
Considered to be the most attractive body shape, this is very similar to hourglass body shape, except that in this case the curves are more defined.
As against areas such as legs, face and arms, our stomach and abdominal regions possess beta cells that makes it difficult to reduce the fats easily and lose weight in these areas. However, as per research, belly fat is the most difficult to lose as the fat there is so much harder to break down.
What body type do men prefer? ›
The short answer is that there isn't a most attractive body type. Guys like all female body types equally. What's going to have the biggest impact on how attractive you are isn't your body shape, it's whether you're in good shape or not. Most guys do prefer women who are strong, fit, and in good health.What foods make waist smaller? ›
Eating a healthy, varied diet that is high in fruits and vegetables — including soluble fiber, vitamin D, and probiotics — is the best plan for losing weight from your waistline. Avoiding refined carbohydrates, sugar, and processed foods whenever possible will help you cut calories and get rid of fat more quickly.How do you dress when you don't have a defined waist? ›
Avoid a belt across your tummy – this will only widen your mid-section. Choose clothes with colours that run straight through your silhouette, as it will help elongate you. Additionally, wearing similar colours or shades on top and bottom can further proportion you.What body proportions are attractive? ›
Waist to hip ratios
Healthy women have ratios of 0.67 to 0.80 while healthy men have 0.80 to 0.95. For attractiveness, ideal for men is 0.90 and female ideal is 0.7 (for Western populations only).
Go big on top, narrow on bottom. If you like the idea of belly camouflage but want to show some shape too, let opposites attract. Pair any full-cut top, blouse, jacket or tunic with a slim base of trim pants, leggings or straight or skinny jeans (here's where the latter come in handy even if you no longer love them).Which body type has a hard time gaining weight? ›
Ectomorphs are long and lean, with little body fat, and little muscle. They have a hard time gaining weight.What body type Cannot gain weight? ›
Ectomorphs are the body type that is the most resistant to weight gain because of a fast metabolism.What is perfect body size for female? ›
The specific proportions of 36–24–36 inches (90-60-90 centimeters) have frequently been given as the "ideal", or "hourglass" proportions for women since at least the 1960s (these measurements are, for example, the title of a hit instrumental by The Shadows).What body shape is the least healthy? ›
Abdominal obesity is probably the most dangerous of all, and apple body shape is considered at the highest risk for health issues compared to the other body types. Larger waists can mean higher risk of heart disease. It can also mean higher risk of Type 2 diabetes.
Hourglass silhouettes are coveted in beauty magazines and pop culture, but it's actually the least common body shape. Women with shoulders and hips that are about the same size have an hourglass figure if they also have a small, defined waist.
What styles make you look thinner? ›
The answer to this is invariably black or dark colors, because nothing slims your figure down as much as black does. Luckily, for most of us, it is our favorite color too. Also, try the monochrome look – it works. Go for a near color match or maintain a minimal color contrast for a tonal outfit to look slimmer.What clothes should hourglass shapes avoid? ›
Avoid boxy and straight skirt styles as well as stiff fabrics. Keep away from skirts with big voluminous pockets, ruffles, darts or other embellishments around the hips unless you balance them with details around the chest. Finally, stay away from low-waisted skirts since these would add bulk to the lower body.What to wear when you don't have a defined waist? ›
- Use a belt.
- Empire waist.
- Corset or bustier tops.
- Belted jacket or structured blazer.
- Fit and flare dress.
- A line skirt.
Avoid shapeless, boxy jump- and playsuit styles and styles that add volume to either the hips or shoulders, but not both. These would unbalance the rectangle body shape's balanced silhouette.Which body type should direct attention to their waist? ›
Hourglass -- An hourglass figure is characterized by balanced bust and hip measurements and a well-defined waist. You can probably wear most styles well.What neckline suits hourglass figure? ›
Best necklines for hourglass shapes
Round, oval, scoop and sweetheart necklines are all extremely flattering as they add subtle detail to the upper body without drawing attention away from your waist. Fitted tops make an excellent choice as they are most likely to highlight the natural curve of your body.
High rise jeans are pure magic when it comes to flattering almost every figure since they sit right at the natural waist (the narrowest point for hourglass shapes). High-waisted, slim leg openings and dark wash pair of jeans are our number one pick for hourglass shapes.Can hourglass wear skinny jeans? ›
Yes, you CAN wear skinny jeans with an hourglass body shape. And flare leg? Absolutely — if anything, they'll help balance out your beautiful curves and elongate your long legs (if that's what you're looking for).What is the healthiest waist size for a woman? ›
What should your waist measurement be? For men, a waist circumference below 94cm (37in) is 'low risk', 94–102cm (37-40in) is 'high risk' and more than 102cm (40in) is 'very high'. For women, below 80cm (31.5in) is low risk, 80–88cm (31.5-34.6in) is high risk and more than 88cm (34.6in) is very high.What is the skinniest waist size? ›
The smallest waist of a person with normal stature was 33 cm (13 in) and was recorded on Ethel Granger (UK) (1905–82). She reduced from a natural 56 cm (22 in) to 33 cm (13 in) over the period 1929–39.
Where do rectangles gain weight first? ›
Since a rectangle body shape is most likely to gain fat in the torso first, also focusing on core exercises is important.What is the most popular female body type? ›
The stereotypically attractive female body shape is an hourglass figure, which includes wide hips, a narrow waist, and broad shoulders.What is the most sought after body shape? ›
According to a new study published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior, women with a 'low waist-to-hip ratio (WHRs)' – commonly known as an 'hourglass figure' – are seen to have the most attractive bodies.What is the most common female body shape? ›
1. Rectangle Shape. This body shape often called the straight or ruler body type. A rectangle body shape means that the waist measurements are less than 9 inches smaller than the bust or hip measurements.